Saturday, March 02, 2024

Details emerge, but remain murky in Spirit Lake shooting

Staff Writer | February 7, 2024 1:00 AM

COEUR d'ALENE — Though a coroner’s report states a Spirit Lake woman died by homicide amid an “officer-involved shooting” in November 2023, questions about her death remain.

The report, released late last week by the Kootenai County Coroner’s Office, further classified the Nov. 1 death of 67-year-old S.A. Floyd as “trauma.”

Coroner’s office staff confirmed Tuesday that “homicide” refers to any death that is caused by another person, while “trauma” describes any type of injury.

Undersheriff Brett Nelson said his agency cannot confirm whether Spirit Lake police shot Floyd.

Nelson said he expects the Kootenai County Prosecutor’s Office to reveal that information when it announces whether those involved in the shooting will face criminal charges. He said the announcement could happen this week.

The sheriff’s office said Floyd’s “next of kin” contacted police around 6:14 p.m. Nov. 1, 2023, for what law enforcement previously described as a “suicidal threat call.”

Minutes later, two Spirit Lake police officers arrived at Floyd’s residence, an apartment in a retirement facility where she reportedly lived alone.

The shooting occurred at 6:34 p.m., according to a timeline provided by the sheriff’s office. The report indicates Floyd was pronounced dead one minute later, but does not state who made that determination. 

A deputy sheriff arrived at the scene at 6:47 p.m. The scene was then cleared and police needed to obtain a search warrant in order to reenter the apartment. 

Floyd was “found deceased” in her apartment three hours later, at 9:48 p.m., according to information previously released by the sheriff’s office. 

The Spirit Lake police officers, who have not been named publicly, were placed on administrative leave, which officials said is standard after any critical incident.

The sheriff’s office investigated the shooting and turned over the findings to the Kootenai County Prosecutor’s Office about three weeks ago. Nelson said the prosecutor’s findings have been delayed because the agency was waiting for the coroner’s report.