Tuesday, October 03, 2023

THE VETERANS' PRESS: How do I start getting my veteran benefits or VA medical help?

| January 18, 2022 1:00 AM

Many deserving veterans or their families believe they may qualify for some earned veteran benefits or medical help, but don’t know where or how to start the process. Below you will find three steps to get you started on the path to hope and help.

Step 1: Find your DD 214 (Discharge Papers). It certifies your service, your service time and your status. You will need it before you can file any claim or get any benefits.

“I Can’t find it”… You can order it by going to one of the Veteran Service providers listed in the “Resource Directory” section of this edition.

Step 2: Make an appointment with a Veteran Service Officer (VSO). These are the experts that can walk you through the process and help you find out what you need to make a claim or start receiving your earned benefits. You can find a VSO at many different Veteran Service organizations (They can also help you get your DD214.). The Veteran Service Officer help never costs you anything. The service is free (See “How Can I Find Help” In this edition). Call, visit or go online.

Tip: Talk to a VSO before you try to apply online. It will save you some time and reduce your frustration.

Step 3: Start Today. Don’t wait any longer. It’s your life, health and money.

• Spokane Regional Veterans Service Center: 1-509-477-3690

• North Idaho Veterans Service Benefits Office: 1-208-446-1092

Recent Headlines