Local Gems of the Coeur d’Alene Basin
The Local Gem Award Program is hosted by the Coeur d’Alene Regional Chamber of Commerce Natural Resources Committee in partnership with the Coeur d’Alene Lake Our Gem Collaborative. Our purpose is to recognize those in the Coeur d’Alene Basin taking positive steps to protect our water quality through actions such as implementing low impact development, dedication to water quality education and using proper Best Management Practices near local surface waters.
Local Gem Awards can be given to individuals, businesses, or organizations for showing leadership in promoting stewardship of natural resources and water quality protection.
Previous Local Gem Award recipients include Girl Scouts of America Camp Four Echoes on Windy Bay for installing a shoreline planting demonstration project, City of Coeur d’Alene Wastewater Treatment for innovative technologies removing phosphorus from wastewater, Welch Comer Engineering for projects designed to promote water quality and Lookout Pass Ski Area for allowing hundreds of high school students to visit annually to measure snowpack.
Examples of activities that qualify for recognition as a Local Gem include:
• Providing incentives for employees to attend workshops promoting stewardship of natural resources and water quality protection
• Implementing innovative stormwater management techniques
• Participating in, or sponsoring, activities that promote water quality protection
• Participating in research efforts or citizen science related to conservation of natural resources
• Establishing landscaping that minimizes the need for fertilizers, pesticides, and overwatering)
• Maintaining vegetative filter areas along waterways
Do you know someone who should be recognized as a Local Gem? Nominations can be submitted to Rebecca Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jamie Brunner (Jamie.email@example.com) for consideration by the Chamber Natural Resource Committee. Our community values our water resources and we appreciate the local gems dedicated to keeping them clean and healthy!