Community Christmas celebrations commence
| December 2, 2010 8:00 PM
Several local communities will hold celebrations for the entire family this weekend to help usher in the Christmas season.
Here's a look at the events by city:
* Post Falls - Winterfest will be held on Friday from 6-8 p.m. at City Hall, 408 N. Spokane St.
There will be caroling, crafts for kids, refreshments, a tree lighting and a visit from Santa Claus. Activities will move inside in case of inclement weather.
The event kicks off the city's giving tree. Attendees are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items, unwrapped new toys, blankets or used coats to donate to the Post Falls Food Bank.
Also, in conjunction with the event, the chamber will hold its "pajama party." Residents may drop off a pair of new pajamas for toddlers, tweens and teens that will be donated to Post Falls Police's OASIS women's shelter.
* Hayden - The fifth annual Hayden Lights parade starts at 5 p.m. on Saturday at Hayden Avenue and will proceed south in the northbound lane of Government Way to Honeysuckle Avenue. Government Way will be closed during the parade. The best view of the parade is on the east side of Government Way.
The Christmas tree lighting ceremony will follow at Hayden City Park, 8930 N. Government Way. Mayor Ron McIntire will light the tree with the assistance of local children.
There will be free hot chocolate, coffee and cookies served in the park's gazebo.
The Atlas and Hayden Meadows elementary special choruses will provide music.
Santa will hear children's wishes and pass out treats inside Hayden City Hall.
Donations will be accepted for Toys for Tots.
* Rathdrum - Rathdrum's December d'Lites will be on Friday from 6-8 p.m. at the Lakeland Shopping Center and Saturday from 2-5:30 p.m. on Main Street.
On Friday, there will be hay rides, a scavenger hunt and business sales.
Saturday's events include music, raffles, crafts for kids, business open houses, a recipe contest, a coin scramble, reindeer run and the lighted rig parade at 5:30 p.m. on Main.
There will also be photos with Santa on Saturday from 2-5 p.m. in the Palidash Building on Main. Bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank for a free photo.
Concessions will be available. Information: 687-2866
* St. Maries - Christmas in St. Maries starts on Saturday at 1 p.m. on Main Street. There will be games for the kids, pictures with Santa, a stroll, hay rides and a parade at 5 p.m.
A craft fair will be held at the Eagles Lodge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
On Sunday, the Christmas Gala sponsored by Benewah Community Hospital Better Care will be held from 2-4 p.m. at Benewah Community Hospital.
Tickets are $20 each and available at the hospital or by calling 245-7611. The event includes refreshments and a chance to win a decorated Christmas tree or gift basket.
* Spirit Lake - On Friday, Dec. 10 at 1:30 p.m., Santa will arrive on a fire truck and will be at Fourth and Maine Pizza to hear kids' requests.
There will be hot chocolate and other refreshments. The Timberlake High band will perform. The community is invited.
* Kellogg - The Light Up Kellogg lighting celebration and parade will be held on Saturday.
The parade on Main Street starts at 5 p.m.
Following the parade, festivities continue in the plaza at the base of Silver Mountain with a Christmas tree lighting. George White will serve as master of ceremonies. Santa, who will arrive in an antique sleigh, will hear kids' Christmas wishes. There will also be carols and free hot chocolate, cider, cookies and candy canes.
The Kellogg trolley will offer free rides from 3:30-7:30 p.m.
A fireworks show will top off the activities.