Sunday, January 29, 2023
35.0°F

Woman rescued through window during fire

by Brian Walker
| November 19, 2010 8:00 PM

POST FALLS - A woman was rescued through a basement window and three dogs died during a fire at a Post Falls home early Thursday.

The fire at 1467 N. Havichur Loop near The Highlands Golf Club at 2:35 a.m. damaged the garage and main floor.

The cause was discarded wood stove ashes placed in a plastic container in the garage, said Jim Lyon, Kootenai County Fire and Rescue spokesman.

"There was extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the main floor of the home and the garage," Lyon said. "The contents in the living room, dining room and kitchen were a total loss. There was also a lot of heavy smoke and heat damage in the bedrooms."

Homeowners Jason and Erin Wyatt, their children ages 11 months, 5 years and 6 years, and Erin's mother, Judy McKeana, evacuated prior to emergency crews arriving.

McKeana was helped through a basement window by Jason and a neighbor when the stair exit was blocked by fire and smoke. Jason received minor cuts and both Jason and Erin were treated for minor smoke inhalation.

"It will be a tough holiday season for the family, but it will also probably be one of the more special ones because they realize what's important and the blessings that came out of this," Lyon said.

Other losses included a Subaru car, two motorcycles, a fishing boat, four-wheeler and miscellaneous items in the garage. There was damage to a GMC truck and storage trailer parked outside and another four-wheeler in the bed of the pickup.

The basement was spared from the fire.

No estimate of damages was available. The homeowners told firefighters that they have insurance and working smoke detectors.

Neighbors and the American Red Cross are assisting the family.

A cat was rescued from the home, but one cat was still unaccounted for Thursday afternoon.

Recent Headlines