Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Fire at school, church forces evacuation

| December 3, 2010 8:00 PM

POST FALLS - A small fire involving a heating unit outside a modular at Real Life Ministries caused a school evacuation on Thursday morning.

Jim Lyon, Kootenai County Fire and Rescue spokesman, said teachers and students evacuated about 9:20 a.m. after smelling an electrical burn. No one was injured.

Power was shut off and flames were extinguished before firefighters arrived. The fire was contained to the outside and the inside was limited to smoke through the ceiling.

Lyon said there were 17 students and four teachers inside Modular B. Genesis Prep Academy, a private Christian school, holds its classes at Real Life Ministries, 1866 N. Cecil Road.

* Regarding another recent structure fire, Hauser Fire Chief Larry Simms said the cause of the fire that destroyed two homes on Nov. 24 on Woodland Beach Road near the Chef in the Forest is undetermined. No one was injured, but a 90-year-old man was rescued from the home.

Recent Headlines