Monday, February 06, 2023
39.0°F

Entertainment Briefs April 6, 2010

| April 6, 2010 9:00 PM

FBI investigating Andrews threats

NORFOLK, Va. - The Norfolk office of the FBI is investigating death threats against ESPN sportscaster and "Dancing With the Stars" contestant Erin Andrews, indicating they may have originated in that state.

Norfolk FBI spokesman Phil Mann said Monday that no arrests have been made. He declined to comment on a report by the celebrity gossip site TMZ that the e-mails were sent from someone in Newport News.

Andrews' attorney Marshall Grossman said last week that since September at least a dozen e-mails have been sent to a media outlet threatening his client.

He said the messages discuss the case of Michael David Barrett, who was sentenced last month to 2? years in federal prison for secretly shooting nude videos of Andrews.

Grossman says the e-mails were at first sexual but the most recent threatened her.

Key issues settled in Hopper divorce

LOS ANGELES - Dennis Hopper's estranged wife and daughter can live on his property while the couple resolve their bitter divorce case and the actor fights prostate cancer, a judge ruled Monday.

Superior Court Judge Amy Pellman also ordered the actor to pay $12,000 a month in spousal and child support.

Hopper, 73, did not attend the hearing but was repeatedly described by his attorney as "desperately ill."

Hopper's three adult children from previous marriages attended but did not speak.

Pellman sternly told both sides they needed to come together during what appeared to be Hopper's final days.

"It's never one-sided," Pellman said of the family turmoil. "There needs to be street-cleaning on both sides of this street."

The judge noted the couple's 7-year-old daughter is about to undergo the traumatic loss of her father and the rhetoric should be toned down.

"Having her extended family in a war with her mother is not in her best interests," Pellman said.

The rulings came after two months of bickering in court filings, including allegations of abuse by both sides, and jockeying for financial position.

The couple has been married for nearly 14 years. Hopper filed for divorce in January.

"It's heartbreaking and I hope it can be amicably resolved," Victoria Duffy Hopper said after the hearing.

She has been living in a house at her husband's Venice compound, which is also home to one of his adult children.

She has agreed to remain at least 10 feet away from the "Easy Rider" star and avoid the main home on the property.

She said in court filings the divorce was an attempt to cut her out of her inheritance, an accusation that has been denied.

Hopper's attorney, Joseph Mannis, said after the hearing that he was happy with the outcome, aside from the judge awarding Victoria Hopper $200,000 in attorney and accountant fees.

He said his side did not intend to further contest the spousal or child support orders but was preparing for a fight over the couple's prenuptial agreement.

The agreement calls for Victoria Hopper to lose her stake in her husband's estate if they are divorced or not living together when he dies.

Another hearing on how to divide Hopper's life insurance policy will be held in May.

Burton, Monte Carlo splitting

LAS VEGAS - Lance Burton's run at the Monte Carlo hotel-casino on the Las Vegas Strip is ending after 14 years.

Hotel officials said Monday the illusionist's show will end Sept. 4 - well short of a six-year contract extension he and the resort signed last year.

Burton is 50. He has performed at the Monte Carlo since the day it opened in 1996.

Monte Carlo owner MGM Mirage did not immediately give a reason for Burton's departure.

Burton tells The Associated Press that the split came because of differing philosophies about how to put on a show.

Burton told the AP in June that he considered every option before signing the extension through 2015, but ultimately felt he had a few more shows in him.

Burton started in Las Vegas 28 years ago.

- The Associated Press

Recent Headlines