On Oct. 20, 2019, Evelyn Bailey celebrated her 100th birthday with several family members at her residence, Village at Orchard Ridge (Coeur d’Alene Homes).
Evelyn was born on Oct. 28, 1919, and was raised in a 8-by-10-foot tar paper shack on property that her parents were homesteading. The homestead was located on the barren, windy prairie of northern Montana, 17 miles south of the small town of Rudyard, Mont. In those days, there was no running water or electricity. The prairie did not have trees, so part of Evelyn’s job was to pick up chunks of coal and cow pies which provided fuel for the stove. Water was hand carried in buckets from a neighbors well, approximately one mile away. Times were certainly tough.
Evelyn met Cy Bailey, from Coeur d’Alene. He came to Montana looking for work. Work he found, along with a new bride.
They moved back to Coeur d’Alene where Cy opened his own shop, Cy’s Meats in 1950 on the corner of Fifth and Walnut. The meat shop also had 600 frozen food lockers and was operated by Cy and Evelyn. Through hard work and very long hours, the shop was successful and very well-known. Cy sold the business in about 1968 and retired.
Cy and Evelyn have three surviving children, Doug, Joyce and Ken.
Cy passed away in 1988, and Evelyn moved into the Coeur d’Alene retirement home in 2008.
Evelyn is a lifetime member of Trinity Lutheran Church, and was active in Soroptimist in Coeur d’Alene.
Evelyn has always said that she has been blessed throughout her life. Hard work, perseverance and a strong faith in God carried her through her 100 years.
• • •
Submit your milestones to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the Coeur d’Alene Press, 215 Second St., Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814.
• Wedding anniversaries for couples married 25 years and every fifth year thereafter (2 photos accepted)
• Engagement announcements (1 photo accepted)
• Wedding announcements (1 photo accepted)
• Births (1 photo accepted)
• Milestone birthdays at age 70 and every fifth year thereafter or every year after age 90 (1 photo accepted)
• Generations (1 photo accepted)
• Academic honors and higher education accomplishments (1 photo accepted)
• Military announcements (1 photo accepted)
Deadline is 3 p.m. Tuesdays.