The Latest: 2nd arrest made in shooting of David Ortiz

AP

Print Article

FILE - In this July 15, 2018, file photo, World Team Manager David Ortiz (34) speaks with U.S. Team Manager Torrii Hunter, before the All-Star Futures baseball game at Nationals Park, in Washington. Ortiz returned to Boston for medical care after being shot in a bar Sunday, June 9, 2019, in his native Dominican Republic. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — The latest on the shooting of former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic (all times local):

10:40 p.m.

A spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office in the Dominican Republic says a second person has been arrested in the investigation into the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz. There is no public indication the man is the suspected shooter.

Spokeswoman Julieta Tejeda reported the arrest to a group of journalists via WhatsApp on Tuesday night. She declined to provide further details.

Ortiz was shot Sunday and is now recovering from exploratory surgery in Boston, where he was flown Monday night.

Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, said in a statement earlier Tuesday that the player is "stable, awake and resting comfortably" in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is expected to remain there several days.

Dominican doctors removed Ortiz's gallbladder and part of his intestine.

___

2:35 p.m.

Former Red Sox star David Ortiz is recovering from exploratory surgery in Boston as investigators in his native Dominican Republic try to figure out who shot him and why.

Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, said in a statement Tuesday that the player known as Big Papi is "stable, awake and resting comfortably" in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is expected to remain there several days.

The 43-year-old retired athlete was flown to Boston on Monday night for further treatment, arriving in an air ambulance provided by the Red Sox. Doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine.

___

11:50 a.m.

Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering in Boston from a two-hour exploratory surgery after being shot at a bar in his native Dominican Republic.

Ortiz spokesman Leo López told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Ortiz is expected to stay in intensive care for at least 48 hours.

Ortiz was flown to Boston on Monday night in an air ambulance provided by the Red Sox after Dominican doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine. López said the 43-year-old athlete's liver was also damaged in Sunday night's shooting.

Police have said the driver of the motorcycle carrying the gunman was captured and beaten by a crowd of people at the bar. The gunman has not been arrested, and police say they do not yet have a motive.

Print Article

Read More Sports

THROUGH THE LENS presented by KNUDTSEN CHEVROLET June 24, 2019

June 24, 2019 at 5:00 am | Coeur d'Alene Press ...

Comments

Read More

Analysis: New No. 1 Barty's rapid rise could be just a start

AP

June 24, 2019 at 9:30 am | Ash Barty never had been ranked inside the WTA's top 10 until April. As of Monday, she is No. 1. The 23-year-old Australian never had been as far as the quarterfinals at any Grand Slam tournament...

Comments

Read More

England seek World Cup rebound win at Australia's expense

AP

June 24, 2019 at 5:04 am | LONDON (AP) — England loses. It just doesn't lose two games in a row very often. The last time England lost two straight anywhere was in January 2017, in India. The last time England lost two...

Comments

Read More

Weekend Sports in Brief

AP

June 24, 2019 at 5:00 am | BASEBALL CHICAGO (AP) — New York Mets manager Mickey Callaway cursed at a reporter, and pitcher Jason Vargas had to be restrained from charging him during a confrontation in the team's clubhouse ...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 664-8176
215 N. Second St
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814

©2019 The Coeur d'Alene Press Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X